In this article, I am going to look at the Silver Reed Knitting Machine, what it does, and if it is worth considering if you are looking to buy a knitting machine.
Please note that this post does contain affiliate links.
Unfortunately, the Silver Reed Knitting Machine is becoming harder and harder to come by. With the fact that knitting with a machine is not that popular as it was a decade ago, a lot of knitting machine manufacturers have closed their doors.
The Silver Reed Knitting Machine is basically replacing the old Empisal and Singer machines with a standard knitting machine that does more than the more popular loom machines that are sold at the moment.
The Silver Reed SK280 Knitting Machine is one that will proudly stand by your side for life if you can get your hands on one, and it is definitely the way to go if you want to create gorgeous garments for your wardrobe.
With the 24 stitch punch card pattern center, you can create beautiful tuck, weaving, slip, and fair isle stitch patterns. This Standard Gauge Punch card machine is the perfect machine for fingering and sport weight yarns.
If you are looking to make a profit from your knitting, a knitting machine is the way to go, as there is no faster way of knitting up professional-looking garments. For instance, if you knit a plain sweater, the back will take about half an hour to do.
So if you want to take your knitting to the next level I strongly recommend you get a knitting machine so that you can indulge your creative side.
The Silver Reed Knitting Machine is fairly pricey, but I have found some cheaper knitting machines that you will see below this article, that are almost as good as the Silver Reed SK280 Knitting machine. They can also be purchased online.
Silver Reed Knitting Machine
If you are interested in finding out more about any of the products below, simply click on the blue link or on the picture of your choice.
Silver Viscount Reed SK280 Knitting Standard Gauge Machine by Silver Viscount
- SK 280 automatic punch card knitting machine
- 24 stitch repeating punch card pattern
- 4.5mm Needle Gauge
- 200 Needle Stainless Steel Metal Bed
- This is a single bed silver reed knitting machine.
The Silver Reed Knitting Machine is made by the Japanese and has been distributed under the names of Singer, Studio, KnitMaster, and Empisal.
These are the only home knitting machines that are still in active production, to the best of my knowledge.
The best part about the Silver Reed Knitting Machine is that it is easy to set up and use, and this is great for people who are new to the world of knitting and machine knitting. For a new knitter, you will be glad to know that the learning curve is quick and you will quickly figure out how to use this versatile machine.
In any case, going for a few lessons at your local dealer will save you even more, time and also give you some helpful tips and advice that you may not necessarily learn on your own.
Parts for this knitting machine are easily available, provided the model is not too old. Luckily parts are easy to find online, and a lot of the parts are interchangeable among the different machines.
These types of machines are generally more pricey than the smaller Addi Machines, but they are aimed more at someone who is wanting to profit from their knitting, or who knits a lot.
Silver Viscount Reed LC2 Lace Carriage for SK280 by Silver Viscount
This is just one of the attachments available online for the Silver Reed Knitting Machine.
- The LC2 Lace Carriage offers fast, easier, knitting of transfer lace in a single action like stockinet and is capable of producing fashionable multiple transfer lace.
- Suitable for use with MOD.700, 360, 280 and 260 knitting machines.
- The lace carriage transfers stitches on the leading side then knits on the trailing side of the carriage each row, allowing you to produce a lace garment even on a full knitting width without adding extension rails.
Now you can knit a lace shawl or scarf in no time.
New Arm Unit Sinker Plate Set for Singer Silver Reed SK260 SK280 Knitting Machine
This all New Arm Unit fits the Silver Reed or Singer Knitting Machine SK210, SK218, SK260, SK280, SK360, SK550, SK560, SK580, SK600, SK700, SK740, SK840. This price is for one piece. (Parts No.06500508) The unit is made In Japan.
Knitting Machine Card Punch Device for Punch Cards Brother/Silver Reed Machines Knitting Hand Crafts DIY Accessories
- This punch card works with Brother, Silver Reed, Singer, Studio, Toyota, Knitking, Elna and standard machines.
- Use this to punch cards for Jacquard, tuck stitch, slip stitch, and other stitch designs when using punch cards for standard punch card machines
More Knitting Machine Options At Great Prices
Knitting Machine and Accessories, LK150 150 Stitches 6.5mm Mid Gauge Plastic Domestic Knitting Machine with Accessories Tool Set for Household Sewing
- This professional knitting machine can weave medium, thick and thin yarns, and can produce beautiful patterns such as a rib stitch, tuck, overhead, yarn adding, and overhead flowers.
- The Jarchii knitting machine is small in size, does not occupy space, is light, easy to carry, and can be stored in the packaging box after use.
- The knitting machine has a specially designed latch pin with rollers to ensure smooth and quiet operation, and two clamps are attached to help the knitting machine be securely installed on the table.
- This 6.5mm medium gauge knitting machine is suitable for most hand-knitting yarns. Its simple design and ease of use will give you the pleasure of knitting yarn from the beginning.
LK150 6.5mm Mid Gauge Plastic Domestic Knitting Machine Includes Yarn Needles Accessories for Adults/Kids
- Small size, lightweight, and easy to carry.
- It’s specially designed roller capped latch needle ensures smooth and quiet operation.
- The 6.5mm mid-gauge knitting machine suitable for most hand knitting yarn.
- The combination of hand knitting and machine knitting greatly improves knitting efficiency.
- Its simplicity of design and ease of use will give you hours of fun and creative knitting.
I hope this selection of knitting machines helps you to decide which one will be best for you. Please comment below on your experiences with any of the above machines.
7 thoughts on “The Silver Reed Knitting Machine And Some Spares…”
Thank you for all useful information. But I still have one question:
Where can I find a trainer to help me how to knit with machine and how can I find someone to help me as a volunteer to help others in workshops to learn how to knit?
I appreciate if you email me to give me these information.
If you but the knitting machine from a dealer they normally offer free lessons so that you can learn to use the machine.
If you buy the Silver Reed Knitting Machine online (which is probably the cheaper option), luckily there are so many YouTube videos that you can Google to get help. You can find one such example at this link.
Check out the website : “Knit it now” There’s courses and so, so much more it will blow your mind.
I have a Singer SK 280 and the ribber from an electronic knitting machine. I want to knit jacquard using the punch card but the top carriage keeps getting stuck going across. Wondering why. I have checked all settings.
I haven’t used this particular model but I remember this happened from time to time with my Moms Empisal, and it turned out that the card was bent. Hope you get your problem sorted.
Can I use sk280 caridge on my 260/360 machine.
I am not sure, but generally, unless a carriage is made for a specific machine I would not risk it.