Why Would I Need A Tassel?
- Hang it from a twisted or braided cord on curtains;
- As a bookmark;
- Put them on a graduation cap;
- Let the children make woolen people using tassels;
- Use to decorate your scrapbooking layouts;
- Use as decor on your zipper on your handbag;
- Use as decor on the corners of your tablecloth;
- Make tassels for your knitted scarves;
- Tassels look really pretty around an afghan or shawl.
It all depends on how bulky you want the finished tassel to be that decides what types of threads or yarn you will use to make the tassel. If you want to practice, it is better to make yarn tassels to start off with as it is easier to work with thicker yarn than cotton or floss.
For scrapbooking purposes, it is best to use embroidery cotton or floss. On home decor or clothing, you would use cord, wool, or string.
How To Make Yarn Tassels
- First, cut a stiff piece of card with the long side of the rectangle as long as you want the finished tassel to be.
- Wind some yarn, floss, or embroidery cotton around the long side of the card. You can try using different colors for different effects. Wind the yarn or cotton around the card about twenty times. If you want a fuller or thicker tassel you will need to wind some more.
- Slide a length of string under the wound loops and pull it up to the top edge of the tassel. Tie it around the wound cotton firmly with a double knot, and then slide the loops off of the cardboard.
- To make a neck for your tassel, start by taking a long piece of cotton and wrapping the neck of the tassel just a bit away from the first cotton tie. This will form a bubble or ball at the top of the tassel.
- Use a tapestry needle with the eye of the needle towards the skirt of the tassel. Wrap the long piece of cotton that was left after tying the neck to wrap around the tassel and the needle, ensuring that each wrap is tight.
- To secure the wrap, just thread the needle with the working end of the floss or cotton and then gently pull the needle underneath the wrap and out at the top. Trim the end carefully as close to the wrap as possible.
- Next, you will need to cut through the loops of the tassel’s skirt and if necessary trim and neaten them off. Unravel the skirt threads to make the skirt as full as possible. Scroll down to see a video guide on how to make tassels.
- There is a video at the bottom of this post that explains how to make a yarn tassel. Enjoy!
CRAFTIVITY – Super Strings Lanterns – Complete Craft Project Kit – Learn Classic String Art Skills As You Craft Beautiful Chic Lanterns With Sparkling Tassels – Ages 12+
Here is a great kit you can purchase to make beautiful lanterns with tassels. Here is another fun way to learn to make yarn tassels. If you want to find out more about getting this kit, simply click on the link above or on the picture.
- COLLECT, CREATE, AND DISPLAY – With the Super Strings Lanterns set, you have the opportunity to make your room will shine with chic handcrafted lanterns while learning classic string art skills in the process. Make three of your own lanterns that feature tassels a touch of golden sparkle!
- GET BUSY MAKING THE BEST CRAFTS EVER – This set comes with assorted crafting string, metallic accent string, sequin hanging cord, inflatable craft balls, glaze, tassel tool, battery-operated tea lights, plastic tea light holders, twist ties, and craft gloves. It has everything you need to make one of the most popular crafts today!
- INCLUDES SET-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS GUIDE – It sounds intimidating, but it’s not! The kit includes easy-to-follow instructions on how to make tassels. We’ll guide you through the process, from using string, glaze, and inflatable balls to create a trio of lanterns to making tassels, adding tea lights, and finally hanging your creations! Add a gentle glow to your favorite space.
- PART OF THE CRAFTIVITY LINE – Teenage girls don’t outgrow their creativity; they just outgrow kid’s crafts. That’s why we’ve created the CRAFTIVITY line, 8 inspiring and trendy activities that expand artistic abilities through techniques including dip dying, macramé, decoupage, paper crafting, and more. Each craftivity project comes with high-quality materials and everything a burgeoning young designer needs to complete a masterpiece.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS – Each Super Strings Lanterns package includes 300ft of assorted crafting string, 100ft of metallic accent string, 3ft of sequin hanging cord, inflatable craft balls, glaze, tassel tool, battery-operated tea lights with batteries, plastic tea light holders, twist ties, craft gloves, and instructions. Recommended for ages 12 and up.
Now you know how to make yarn tassels. You may also enjoy trying other yarn embellishments. Click here for more ideas.